Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Tech Time with Tee

Ok, I know I just posted yesterday, but I'm so excited about this new site/company that I just had to share it with you.

So a little background on it...plus I want to brag... :-)

For the last 6 months I've been organizing an event at 3M called Nerdstock. It's an annual event that the Software and Systems Tech Forum chapter which I'm currently a co-chair of puts on. The keynote speaker we lined up for this years Nerdstock event was Dr. Werner Vogels, which might not mean much to anyone, but he's the VP and Chief Technology Office of Amazon.com. Very big deal in the computer world. He was named CTO of the year in 2008 by Information Week. So I spent last Thursday and Friday with Dr. Vogels and the head of sales for Amazon's AWS products. It was so exciting and interesting to talk to them and learn from them. In Dr. Vogels keynote address he identified a bunch of companies that are running their sites on Amazon Web Services and the first one he pointed out is Animoto. (http://animoto.com/) This company is so cool. It was started by a bunch of college guys who figured out that they could identify the rhythm in music and automatically create videos from uploaded pictures. Now that might not sound very impressive, but wait until you try it. WARNING WARNING This is very addictive!!

I went to their site just to check it out and play around with it (you can create 30 sec videos for free) and I was so impressed with it! The video I created is below. You can upload your own pictures as well as your own music, enter text where you want it and Animoto will do the transitions for you and put together the video. It's so cool! If you want to subscribe to the site it's $30/year and you can create full length videos and download them. It's $5 extra to create a DVD of your video. Or if you want it's $3/video if you want to just try a full length one.

I've been thinking of creating a video for Logan of the first year of his life and this just might push me over the edge. I can just upload the pictures, pick my music and see what happens...for $3...seems like a no brainer.

Huh and I guess they have a referral program so if you do sign up use my Referral code: vihtpcbw



Was playing around with the site a little more and here's the same video just remixed.



And here's the same pictures just moved around and I started the song in a different place. But Animoto never renders the video the same so you always get something new.

1 comment:

The Sherman's said...

holy crap sticks tee! this is awesome!! you are going to be running 3M in no time... you know, you should really start your own blog / site. call it tech time with tee... you'd probably have a huge following and people would pay you to advertise on your site, just like dooce. before you know it you'll be doing appearances and signing autographs!