Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Sleeping on the couch

No No, Brian didn't do anything wrong. He's not even the one sleeping on the couch, Logan is. Sunday night at like 5 he had a temp, about 101, so we gave him some Tylenol and he seemed to be feeling better. He woke up that night at 4 am with a fever again, I didn't take his temp, just gave him some more Tylenol and put him back to bed. In the morning he wasn't running a temp and was acting fine so we sent him to daycare thinking maybe it was just his teeth.

Julie called me at work at about 9:30 and said he was running a fever again and asked that I come get him. When I got there he was feeling better cause Julie had given him some more Tylenol, so we went home and hung out on the chair watching Disney channel. At about 1:15 I wanted to check his temp again and give him some more Tylenol. His temp was 104.8 and as soon as I got done taking his temp he started throwing up. He was very lethargic and his eyes were half shut and almost rolled back into his head. I was so scared. I put him in the shower right away to try to get the fever down. He had thrown up the Tylenol so I knew that wouldn't be kicking in to help with the fever. I was so worried I called the clinic just to see what they had to say and the nurse said to bring him into the ER. I think mainly because they didn't have any openings in the clinic and the ER and urgent care are basically the same thing. So into the hospital we go. Brian met us there. By this time Logan was looking a little better his temp was down to 102. He really HATES the doctors and nurses though and gave them a hard time when they wanted to take his pulse and check his breathing. The also drew blood to run some blood tests and they had to do it from the vein in his arm. That was a joy let me tell you. It breaks my heart just thinking about him laying there crying his eyes out and you're holding him down so that he doesn't squirm and get hurt more. :-(

After all the tests came back negative, they said it was a viral infection and just gave us a prescription for an anti-nausea suppository. Awesome, I don't think I could give him that. Luckily once we got home last night he was feeling a ton better and we didn't have to even consider that. He started eating and drinking and was acting more like himself. He still had a fever and still does so we're still rotating the Motrin and Tylenol every three hours, but I'm just so glad that he's up and moving around and playing like normal. We let him sleep on the couch last night so that we could hear him if he got up or threw up. I remember as a kid my Mom and Dad would always let us sleep on the couch if we weren't feeling well. Looks like we might do the same thing...

I was so scared yesterday. I had no idea that if a child's fever got too high they could have a seizure. Obviously I knew a really high fever is not good, but a seizure. If he started having a seizure I think I would have literally peed my pants. Thank you Lord for watching over my children! It gives me such joy to watch him run around the house right now playing with his balls! :-)

My boys sleeping yesterday afternoon. Logan pretty much didn't move from the chair all afternoon. That's VERY much not like him.


Mom and the boys before bed last night...well before bed for Mom...they were out cold.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's good to hear that he is feeling better! I was a little worried after you called me yesterday and I'm really glad that he is better! Love ya, Kim

Tee said...

Maybe I spoke too soon...his temp went up again.... :-(

Unknown said...

That's so scary!! I'm glad he's OK. It's funny that you do the couch thing, my parents did that too! Even now when I don't feel well, I always go out to my couch :)